March 5, 2015

The Day of Clay


I know it's been a while since I've written, but it wasn't because of writers bloc.  I'm contemplating a different direction for my life. Enough about me.  Here's a project that for me was another disappointment.  Our class tried working with clay two years ago...the year before... and last summer. So, I'll confess--clay, polymer or otherwise--we are not friends. And probably never be.  I respect and admire artists who understand and work with this medium.  The real reason for the failure this time may be because I assumed that I had followed the directions.  It turns out we painted the clay items before they were cured in the oven.

The inspiration I got from http://www.momtastic.com/diy/404787-diy-pinch-pots/ was going to be very simple with an added quaint cuteness to it (or so I thought).  Kids just love playing and molding clay.  I think they just like how it feels in their hands.  After playtime, I told them we were going to make little pots.  Well...they weren't going for that at all.  Out came all the suggestions, "I want to make this."  "Can I make this?"  So, what's a teacher to do? Ruin their fun?  Nope.  I had to just go with the flow.

The kids were excited to make their desire creations and here they are:




                             A spiral glittered mountain. This is the only one with no cracks.                                                      





 A favorite of the girls--the dolphin.



This is my pinch pot.  




Only one student actually made a bowl                                                            



Theo loves garden snakes.



Can you make out that this is a turtle?


On the way to being "cured".


Supplies:
1. polymer clay
2. paper plate
3. cup of water
4. paint
5. paint brush
6. oven

Directions:
1. allow the kids to play with the clay and form it into whatever shape they desire on paper plate
2. use water to smooth out clay
3. preheat oven and cure for about 20-30 minutes
4. paint clay shapes

Duration:
This is a one day project

Note:
I reversed steps 3 and 4 in the directions; therefore, this may be the reason all of our projects had cracks in them

No comments:

Post a Comment