January 26, 2015

Bloomin'



This didn't work. I so wanted this to work, but it DIDN'T!!  My hair dryer must have been the weakest thing on the earth that day. Do I sound like Charlie Brown? I looked again on Pinterest and found that other people used what was called a heat gun. I had never heard of such a thing, but there it was. I don't blame http://aroundbeads.blogspot.com/2012/01/grandmas-garden-crayon-art.html, it looked like she had a very powerful hair dryer.

So, we cheated and painted the stems instead of the nice drizzly effect of melted crayon.  You might think by looking at the pictures that the crayon wrapper prevented the melting.  Nope, I tested an unwrapped crayon.  Therefore, instead of the exposed crayon on one end, I just let the kids hot glue the crayons as they picked them from the basket.  No problem--the effect of blooms is still visible :)


I guess the instructions got lost in translation.  The kids were supposed to choose colors that were in the same hue. Oh, well...


I guess this project was an example of "winging it".  These were kinder and first graders. I'll keep my eyes out for a heat gun this year.  Uhmm, I wonder if the art teacher would have one.












































Supplies:
1.  crayons (preferably unbroken ones)
2. hot glue gun
3. paper for background
4. artificial flower petals
5. paint (of course, this was not in the original project)

Directions:
1. have children arrange placement of crayons on paper
2. hot glue crayons to paper
3. configure where the blooms will be
4. paint on the stems

Duration:
This is a 30-45 minute project









No comments:

Post a Comment